PCD was established in May 1942 as Pueblo Ordnance Depot located in Pueblo, Colorado. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, facilities were expanded and constructed to support the Warfighter in World War II and the Korean War. Maintenance of missiles, artillery, fire control, optical equipment, ammunition renovation and demilitarization were major missions. PCD received its first shipment of chemical weapons—mustard projectiles—in 1952.
In 1962, Pueblo Ordnance Depot became Pueblo Army Depot (PAD). PAD’s primary mission was to maintain, repair and store missiles. In 1976, PAD became PCD and was assigned to manage the safe and secure storage of the chemical weapons stockpile in Colorado.
Today, the depot’s mission has expanded, now encompassing roughly 23,000 acres of land. Of the original nine U.S. chemical weapons storage sites, PCD is one of the two sites where the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Activity (CMA) oversees its storage-only mission.